Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sleep.

Everyone knows what sleeping is, so I suppose I won't have to be too in-depth on that. Maybe simply giving an example would be sufficient:

Exhibit A.

Sleeping wasn't really a huge part of my life pre-2010. The only time I would sleep back then was at night, waking up at about 5 in the morning on school days and at various times on non-school days, and daytime naps were uncommon. Twice I went a whole night without sleeping, and the latest I've ever woken up was at 2 in the afternoon.

However, since I moved to Semesra I discovered the joy of sleeping. Sleeping in class, sleeping in my dorm, sleeping in the school hall, and even sleeping in the surau. For me (and mostly everyone else) the equation was simple:

Free time = Sleeping time

Sadly, as time moved on a new factor was added to the equation: Study time.

Free time = Study time + Sleeping time, Study time > Sleeping time

But of course, as they say, old habits die hard. My attempts to adjust to the new equation were at times successful, but in the end I'd still end up dozing off. Plus, having all the other sleep addicts around me didn't help either, as well as the late nights.

I'm pretty sure this 'disease' affects almost every other student who has ever spent a certain amount of time living in a hostel, according to what I've heard anyway. And I'm not sure why. Back before I moved to Semesra, I had only ever slept in class once, and even that was during the early days of Form 1, and there wasn't any teacher around at the time.

I still have this disease up to today. Earlier today I went for the compulsory 'Kursus KPP', the so-called introductory course to driving. For the first session I just about managed to hold on, but as for the session after lunch I felt the old bug kicking in again. I'm just glad I was able to sit up throughout the whole thing, instead of having my head coming to rest on the table.

Then, after reaching home I went to sleep again - it was ridiculous. So now here I am, typing this after having recently woken up for Maghrib prayers and dinner. And even then I had to be woken up by my brother, otherwise I might still be asleep right now.  

Sleep is good for you, but you can have too much of a good thing.

3 comments:

  1. Time pergi Inovasi kat Sains Machang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha perihal budak hostel tidur dlm kelas even mane2 still remain a mystery. Pelik kan?

    ReplyDelete