Monday, January 30, 2012

Hair.

People have different ideas about hair. Some view it as an accessory, thereby explaining why we have had so many different hairstyles throughout the ages. Some don't really care much about it, and may even view it as a hindrance - how else do you explain all the bald professional sprinters?

Not everyone can have naturally great hair. Some people have curly hair, some have straight. The way your hair is shaped is actually determined by your hair follicles, which are those things hair grows out of - but I'm not going to go too much into that.

Some people have dark hair, some have blonde, some have red, and some have brown. Hair color is determined by pigments in the hair - but again, I'm not going to go too much into that.

Anyway, whatever type of hair people have, most of them just can't simply be grateful for what they have and dream of having different-looking hair. Straight-haired people curl their hair, while curly-haired people straighten theirs. And need I say something about all the dyeing people have been subjecting their hair to? The changing of one's hairstyle is a very ubiquitous practice nowadays, and maybe it always has been.

Well, for me, the only hairstyles I've ever had are straight and long, or straight and short. I've only used styling gel once, as far as I can remember, and even then it was because I didn't really have a choice.

My hair is currently straight and long. And I mean long as in, the time has come to shorten it. But no, I'll put that off for now.

Why? Because the plan is to cut it after receiving my SPM results in March. And get this: the better the results, the longer the hair. That's right. Best results = Shortest hair, i.e. bald.

It's not like I've never been bald before. I tried it once, in late 2007/early 2008. Sporting a newly-shaven crown on the first day of school, some of my friends hardly recognised me, such was the magnitude of my transformation.

And guess what? It was actually a refreshing change. Less combing, less shampoo, and less time spent adjusting my hair. In a practical sense, I quite enjoyed being bald. And stylishly speaking - well, I didn't really care much for style back then. So it was like a perfect match. And I pretty much stuck with it for the next three years or so.

My hair's long now, though - I haven't cut it for months. But hopefully I'll be shaving it off come the 22nd of March. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment