Friday, January 13, 2012

Ideas.

Picture by Samuel Lee. Probably has nothing to do with the post.

Just now I had an idea. A really great idea. I was going to make a video.

However, what the video idea was about doesn't really matter anyway, since I was struck by the reality that I didn't have the resources to make one anyway. Well, not now, anyway. Maybe in a few years...

Of course, I'm not the only one who's ever experienced this. You get this incredible idea out of nowhere, and it expands at an alarming rate instantly. Then suddenly, your bubble bursts because you realise that it's never going to happen. And then the idea eventually disappears, and is lost until someone else gets it, although the chances of that happening are really low.

Has anyone ever heard of Roald Dahl? He wrote such great books as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach. I practically grew up reading his work. A fascinating fact about him was that he used to go to sleep with a notebook (or something like that) and a writing utensil next to him so that if he had a good dream, he could write it down when he woke up. And then, it could be used to write a story.

Great ideas don't come around too often. And when they do, usually they don't really work out. For instance, last year I was given the task of coming up with a script for a class video. And I came up with a pretty nice one, I have to say. It seemed even better as none of the other classes were doing anything even remotely similar.

So, I put some degree of effort into it. I asked for help from my ever-willing classmates. I took about a whole day off to come up with the (fairly lengthy) script, which I passed around my class so that everyone could read it and give their consent. I took several hours to select a hundred or so photos that I thought could go in the video from a vast archive. My so-called 'partner-in-crime' sacrificed valuable study time to work on the video, as did most of my other classmates.

Sadly, despite all that effort, the idea had to be scrapped due to certain constraints. So, it took a three-man brainstorming session on one of the last few days of SPM for us to come up with a somewhat cheesy idea for a zombie video. Which was filmed the afternoon after SPM ended. The worst part was that two other classes were also doing horror-themed videos, which pretty much sucked for me. And the fact that they had already done their videos earlier also made look like our video was a slightly humorous rip-off from theirs.

Sure, I was disappointed that we weren't able to go with our original, unique idea. But whatever, I got over it. Take heed from the words of the classic Rolling Stones song:

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes
Well you just might find
You get what you need

Peace out, people.

2 comments: