Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

A lot's been happening since my last post. But I suppose these three simple adjectives make ample summarization of said events.


The Good.
My family (currently) comprises of my mother, my stepfather, my stepmother, and me along with my nine siblings. And as it was recently Chinese New Year, we took it as an opportunity to finally get together for the first time. In Melaka. 

My entire direct family. All 13 of us.
It goes without saying that family is the most important thing in one's life, besides God of course. And therefore it is also clear that having strong familial ties is extremely important.

During these festive times people usually take the opportunity to visit relatives. This custom is becoming increasingly important as nowadays people work so much that they hardly have time to do so on a more regular basis.

Speaking of which, we visited my great-aunt and -uncle in Ayer Hitam, Johor recently. And you know how old people can be when people come to visit. They seem to ooze with joy, and you unwittingly feel happy by just looking at them.

The Bad.
While we were in Ayer Hitam, my  beloved cellphone fell into the toilet. Fortunately, I hadn't added anything to the toilet water yet at the time (if you catch my drift...) so I managed to retrieve it, after being temporarily stunned for a moment. The SIM card survived, happily. However, I wish I could say the same about my phone. :(

The Ugly.
Two words: Bujang Terlajak.

I could have  filed this under 'bad', but describing this so-called 'comedy' as bad, would be a massive understatement. It would be like saying Mahatma Gandhi was a nice guy. Or that Lionel Messi is a good football player. Or that there are a fair amount of Chinese people out there.

On paper, it was supposed to at least be a decent film. Its cast included such talents as Saiful Apek, Johan and Nabil of Raja Lawak fame, Mustafa Kamal and Nur Fazura. Putting all these great actors in one film is a sure-fire formula for success, right? WRONG.

To begin with, the plot was really poor, so the movie was basically doomed from the get-go. The 'jokes' were shockingly bad. The acting was, at times, disturbing. Many of the scenes lacked logic. And to top it all off, the ending was completely devoid of inspiration.

Before the movie started, they played a 'Thank You' message for the moviegoers who were willing to fork out their cash and time to watch a local film, thus supporting the local film industry. And that, I admit, was actually a nice touch.

However, if the local film industry continues to produce such appalling movies, I don't see how people will be doing that any longer.

Sure, I admit that there are many local films out there that are actually pretty good. But I have to say, a movie like that would never have reached the silver screen in, say, the United States. I'll have you know that I spent RM 14 and about two hours of my life just to get myself traumatised in a cold, dark cinema. And I probably wasn't the only one.

Fellow victims. Photo courtesy of Yassin Roslan.

2 comments: