Sunday, January 15, 2012

Growing Old(er).

Time and tide wait for no man.
-Proverb

It's common knowledge that every living thing must die someday. That's just the way it is. What goes around comes around, what goes up must come down, bla bla bla.

I'll be 18 this year, meaning that I'll have to be getting a new IC, among other things. However, as it is, life has its strange way of making people want to be someone they're not. For instance, white people want to get tanned while naturally tanned people want to be white. Ordinary people wish they were famous while famous people wish they didn't get so much attention. Kids want to grow up so quickly whereas adults wish they could be children again.

Likewise, at times I wish I could be a student again. I mean, I was one for over a decade, and everyone knows how hard it is to let go of the past sometimes. 

I couldn't say how many times I've looked back on the old days - there have simply been too many memories. I remember one time years ago when a primary school teacher of mine said that her school days were the best of her life. How bang-on right she was. 

Soon, I'll be stepping into the real world, but not just yet. Many of my friends have already gone ahead, though. Working, college, and such. It all makes me feel so old.

Maybe it's just me, I can be very sentimental sometimes. Maybe I'm being immature, with my not wanting to come out of my 'comfort zone' of being bored at home and not going out to work or something.

But as they say, behind every cloud is a silver lining. Who says  you can't take it slowly? Surely there's nothing wrong with taking a much-warranted break from over 11 years of formal education? I mean, when else are you going to get the chance to sit at home and bore yourself mindless, when you're retired? Who's to say you're even gonna get to that age, right?

So, I apologize if anyone was hurt or anything by that previous paragraph. I wasn't intending on hitting out at anyone, just making my point.

Life is made of decisions, people. Make the right ones.

1 comment: