Saturday, January 7, 2012

Perfection.

Recently I've been experiencing something called writer's block. That's when your mind suddenly goes blank while you're just about to write something. This may lead to frustration, cursing and blind rage. Writer's block can and does happen to everyone, even the professionals.

In chess, they have something known as chess blindness. That's the "Oh, sh*t!" moment when you realise you've just made the wrong move, and missed a better one. As with writer's block, chess blindness can and does happen to everyone, even the grandmasters.

On a more general scale, we often forget things. Especially simple things.

Example 1
A: Hey, get me the... um, what's that thing called again?
B: Remote?
A: No, the... uh...
B: Pen? Book? Banana?
A: That's it! The fork.

Example 2
[On phone]
A: Hi, I'd like to make a reservation, please.
B: Certainly, sir. Your name, please?
A: Uh... my name is... (Oh, damn!)
B: Sir?
A: [Hangs up phone]

I once had an experience in which my English teacher forgot my name and instead called me Asyraf, prompting laughter from what sounded like my whole class. Of course, being a good sport I didn't really take it to heart.

Anyway, my point is, we all make mistakes. Nobody's perfect. Being a master at something means that you are less prone to making mistakes, rather than being completely immune from them. The way I see it, whoever said "Practice makes perfect," LIED.


This picture's function is just to liven up the post. Ignore it if  you will.

"To err* is human."
- Confucius

* err =  to make a mistake

No comments:

Post a Comment