Thursday, January 12, 2012

Golden Oldies.

I was looking through my old school yearbooks when I came across my Form 1 class picture. And that got me thinking, "Every kid in this entire yearbook no longer goes to school,". Imagine that - I'm old(er) now.

So, I tried to scan said picture but it wasn't exactly of the best quality. In the end I had to settle with scanning my Form 3 class picture instead.

Back row, fourth from right.

Besides that, recently I watched the movie 'Scarface' on Cinemax, and I've also been jamming along to the likes of Frank Sinatra and Billy Joel. So what the heck am I doing watching movies and listening to music that's even older than I am?

The answer: Appreciating the classics. They simply don't make entertainment like they used to.

For instance, back in the old days good movies were considered 'good' because of their memorable storylines and dialogue. Nowadays special effects have added a whole new dimension to what makes a good movie. I'm not saying that today's movies aren't good, but sometimes great special effects lead an otherwise rubbish movie to be deemed 'good' by the public. For me, it's always about the story (although good effects wouldn't hurt).

The music of the not-too-distant past still lives on as well. They can still garner millions of views on Youtube. This is due to their meaningful lyrics and/or soothing or catchy beats. Nowadays it's mostly all about the catchy beats. I doubt that much of today's music would still be remembered in say, ten years' time.

All in all, great movies and great music live on forever until people stop caring about them. Which is exactly why we need to appreciate these golden oldies. Sure, there's nothing wrong with keeping up with the times, but without the legends of old, the entertainment scene would be much more different today.
 

1 comment: