Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year Football.


Well, it all started when Premier League bottom club Blackburn Rovers surprisingly beat English champions Manchester United 3-2 on the Red Devils' own turf.
Naturally, as an Arsenal supporter I was overjoyed as one of our rival teams had lost. It got even better when Chelsea too lost at home to Aston Villa and Spurs only managed a draw while Arsenal won.

I was all, "The only way this could get better would be if Man City lost too."

So last night, league leaders Man City played against Sunderland. After a goalless 90 minutes, the match went into three minutes of stoppage time.

My brother had remarked something along the lines of, "Wouldn't it be great if Sunderland scored in the last minute?" 


Ji Dong-Won: Scores late winner for Sunderland
Image courtesy of Football365.com

And they did, through South Korean Ji Dong-Won.

Of course, we (me, my brother and my stepfather) were driven wild at this, in the way only sport can. My brother and I were quite literally jumping around and whooping for joy. Sure, it was nearly one in the morning, but what the heck, right? 

So, in the end, out of the top 5 teams in the Premier League prior to this recent round of fixtures, only my beloved Arsenal came out with 3 points. Happy New Year, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment