Sunday, June 10, 2012

Moving Forward.

"Life is like a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
 - Albert Einstein

You know how people say that time flies when you're having fun? And sometimes they even say that time crawls when you're not. It's somewhat of a rarity for someone to see the passage of time as going at its actual pace, one moment at a time.

For instance, I've been going to Nirwana College for over a month now. And that's exactly how long it's felt like. Time hasn't exactly flown by, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying my time there. And it hasn't exactly crept along, neither, but that doesn't mean I've been bored out of my mind. Maybe it's just me - hardly ever willing to exaggerate.

*****

Just the other day, we had pizza for dinner. We placed our order through the phone, and waited for the delivery guy to arrive. Sure enough, in about half an hour the doorbell rang and I went outside to meet him. 

What I hadn't expected, however, was to be pleasantly surprised - the delivery guy was none other than one of my old classmates from Form 1. Sure, we had never been that close but we'd always been on speaking terms. He did seem in a bit of a hurry, but we did manage to exchange a few words before going our separate ways.

I hadn't seen him in years, and he seemed all grown up now. He wasn't the only one - I'd met a couple of old classmates from primary school recently, and they both looked so much more mature than before. It has been six years since we last met, after all. 

Anyway, all this helped me realize just how far I've come. Just how far we've all come. Young people making their first forays into adulthood; going to college, doing part-time jobs, et cetera. Gone are the days of carefree youthfulness. Gone are the days of blissful innocence. The potentially crushing burden of responsibility has finally caught up to us.

I look at the younger ones, many of whom are in such a hurry to grow up. Well, they are clearly very ignorant in these matters. Back when we were in our school days we had been told to cherish our school days, as they would be the best of our lives. Now the time has come for us to do the same, to warn the younger generation of the dangers of the future. And of course, many of them won't heed the warnings. Just as it was with many of us.

Oh, well. Just like ourselves, they can't say they weren't warned. Enjoy yourselves while you still can, kids. I know I did.

1 comment:

  1. yeah,so true..time flies very quickly..thumbs up Ammar! really enjoy myself reading your blog.. keep it up bro :)

    ReplyDelete