Monday, August 28, 2017

August.

It's been a busy month.

It isn't that August has had that much more stuff to do than usual, but it's certainly felt that way. Besides the usual Rawang stuff, I also had to do an assignment that I absolutely did not enjoy as well as deal with all the housework that came with our maid's sudden resignation. I also managed to injure my knee playing futsal and have been finding stairs to be particularly antagonizing these past few weeks.

But it was mainly that annoying assignment that made this past month feel particularly taxing. For the first time in my life, I did an assignment with the sole aim of passing. Looking back on the assignment now that it's over, and especially in comparison what others did, I feel like I could have done much better if I'd wanted to. I suppose that's what happens when your grade doesn't matter, just as long as you pass.

Next month should be a pretty busy one as well, with a proposal defence, the Rawang visit, and a potential trip to Kelantan being the main highlights, but it helps that all three of those are (a) important and (b) not things that I hate doing. I like having things to do, just as long as doing them doesn't make me feel like I'm dying on the inside.

For anyone who's interested, here are a few things that make me feel like I'm dying on the inside:

a) Doing arts and crafts
b) Attending events that have anything to do with developing 'leadership' or 'entrepreneurship' skills
c) Selling products I wouldn't buy myself
d) Networking
e) Seeing trashy posts on Facebook

And here are a few things, while being objectively mundane, that I find to be at least tolerable:

a) Buying groceries
b) Going to the bank
c) Performing household chores and other errands

Yes, I would much rather do the dishes at home or wait in line at the bank than attend a youth leadership conference. Sue me.

Life is as much about the stuff you hate or tolerate as the stuff you like, I suppose, so maybe I shouldn't complain too much. But then again, complaining about something is one way to channel my frustration at it, and it's certainly a better way of doing so than breaking stuff or something like that.

On a side note, is the Malaysian culture of complaining also an indicator of a constant underlying frustration, for whatever reason, that most of us feel? Would we complain less if our situations were to improve, or would we just then find something else to complain about? Just a thought.

Well, this has been a rambling, incoherent post. I find myself writing stuff like this more often than not nowadays, and I guess it shows the state that my mind is in these days. Guess I'll sign off now.

No comments:

Post a Comment