Monday, October 10, 2016

Warming Up.

I left home for Nilai this morning to get a reference form from my former lecturer, which I needed in order to complete my application for my MPhil program. I'd actually hoped she could just scan it and email it to me so I could just send it to the university I was applying at online, which is what I was doing with another reference form from another former lecturer. As it happened, she insisted that I come get it from her in person, and sure enough, I received it sealed within an envelope.

What that entailed was that I was going to have to physically deliver the envelope to the university, so I figured I might as well just print out the other reference form and deliver that along with it. The only problem was that it took until almost lunchtime for my other lecturer to send me that other form, so by the time I'd received and printed it out, I wasn't gonna make it to the university in time to catch the staff there before they went out for lunch. I was just going to have to wait until after lunch to go there.

While waiting, I decided to go have lunch with my friend, who was also a course junior from MIU, and had recently graduated after finishing his internship. The guy had recently managed to dig up his old Pokemon cards and had been spending the weekend raking in a ton of cash from selling them off. Incidentally, we were having lunch where we were while waiting for a couple of his customers to come and meet up with him.

I mentioned in a previous post about a conversation we had previously about possible future careers. It's been a couple of months since then, and I guess you could say things have gotten less murky regarding what I see myself doing with my life. My friend was telling me that I should just go ahead and become a lecturer right after finishing my Master's, mainly because he thinks I'm good at teaching and also happen to be a very patient person.

Fair enough, I do enjoy teaching - I genuinely loved helping people out with their studies back in school, and that continued throughout college and university. And I do feel that I have more patience than most, but mainly because I just prefer to spend my energy quelling my rage instead of feeding it. I've also previously stated multiple times in this blog that I see myself as ultimately becoming a lecturer...but straight off the bat? I'm not too sure about that. I still think I should spend some time working in the financial industry first, which seems to me like the responsible thing to do with the (little) knowledge I possess about it.

One route into the industry that I'm planning to explore is that of a certified financial planner (CFP), which, on the surface, is a qualification that seems to be quite obtainable. Being able to manage your own finances is an important skill to have, and to help people with that seems like a role in society that I would actually like to fill. I was explaining an investment-linked insurance plan to a friend the other day, and I quite enjoyed it. Told you I like teaching.

For now, though, I'll just wait on the offer letter from the university for my MPhil, which I'm told can take up to a month because of approvals and stuff; during that time, I should probably just start what I can on the research. Once everything starts, things are probably gonna get really busy, so I might as well start warming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment