Sunday, September 4, 2016

Downtime.

Being unemployed really isn't a whole lot of fun. It was fine at first as I had the freedom do whatever I wanted, but being someone who hasn't been on a break this long since April 2012 when I started my foundation studies, it was only a matter of time before the itch to move on to the next stage of my life began to kick in.

I've applied to quite a number of companies, mostly financial institutions, over the past month or so. Only two have gotten back to me thus far, but I'm still yet to attend a single job interview. I'm still hopeful however; I'm sure these companies get hundreds of applicants every month, and it takes time to go through all those resumes.

A lecturer of mine told me I should just take any job I can get for now, even if it is working part-time at KFC, at least just to fill up my time, gain some experience and get some routine into my life. I do see where she's coming from, but I wonder if KFC would want to take on someone who may possibly leave on short notice for another job within a month.

Yes, because of course companies are practically begging at my feet to let them hire me, aren't they? Yes, because working at KFC is 'beneath' someone possessing my qualifications, isn't it? Yes, because I'd just be wasting my time with a low-paying job when a much better one is most definitely around the corner, wouldn't I?

Most people would have taken up a short-term job by now, and I have no problem with that. In fact, I respect people who do that. It's just that I figure that since this is my break, I would like to spend it doing things I would actually like doing. Throughout my whole life, whenever given the choice, I have always chosen to do what makes me happy. I thrive when I'm happy, and I'm a wreck when I'm not.

Without going into too much detail, the very nature of working in retail (which is typically the industry where people in my situation would go into) has little to no appeal to me. I know I'm not going to enjoy that sort of work, so I would rather not put my emotional and mental health at risk by going into it. I'll admit I am a lazy person, but for me the cons of taking up a part-time job outweigh the pros, given my personal situation.

Having said that, I confess things get a bit dull whenever I don't have anything lined up for the day, which is what happens on most days. I used to spend those plan-free days playing video games, but it's gotten to the point where I've gotten tired of it. I instead spend a lot of time just aimlessly surfing the internet nowadays.

So am I making the most of the downtime I've been given? Definitely not. Am I enjoying it? In parts, yes, but overall not as much as I would have liked. I'm not complaining, though. It won't be long before I move into the next stage of my life, in which I'm never going to get this much free time again. I guess I'm just going to bask in this idleness while I still can.

No comments:

Post a Comment