Thursday, November 28, 2013

Penultimate.

Busy days for me, as the penultimate week of my second semester comes to an end. Next week I'll have five tests, one presentation and at least four assignments (one of which is thankfully already complete) due. I don't attribute all this purely to my procrastination (although that did, of course, play a part); there were plenty of other factors beyond my control that led to everything being backed up to this extent.

As is the nature of the universe during times like this where immense concentration on my studies is required, I am finding myself constantly distracted by other things, like my wanting to write this blog post, for instance. The upcoming weekend gives me temporary respite from the hecticness of university life, although I know I should be filling my so-called days of rest with extensive studying. 

It's hardly comforting to remind myself that I am still in my second semester, and things aren't exactly going to get easier from here. I can still find time play video games, stare into space, and carry out my daily internet-aided procrastination. I've been told that I'm supposed to write a research paper in my final year, and I can hardly imagine how that'll be for me.

The good thing about all this chaos, though, is that it keeps my brain working. Rather than just stagnating, brain juices just seem to flow furiously and seamlessly through my head. This comes in rather handy for when I'm doing my work, although it's a slight pity that I can't be using all this creative energy to start writing stories again. I am rather tempted to at times, though.

I suppose I should be thankful for all this. I mean, I did kinda ask for it, anyway. A lack of things to do besides merely attending lectures earlier in the semester left me feeling bored and itching to get to work, and I remember wondering if all that free time from cancelled lectures and postponed quizzes would come back to bite me in the bottom at some point.

Well, I guess I'm finding out now, and all I can say is that it's not a situation that I (or my one and only classmate, for that matter) particularly enjoy. Yes, I did ask for work, but not all at frickin' once. It doesn't even end with the final week of the semester either: my final exams involve six papers in five days. That may have been acceptable back in primary school, but it's hardly ideal when the subjects you're taking involve things a bit more complex than basic fractions and state flags.

The situation was hardly avoidable, though. I'm to go for umrah in Mecca in the week following finals week, so I had to request that all my papers be scheduled in the same week. I wouldn't have had to if the semester hadn't been extended by one week either; that extension was due to the ridiculous amount of public and campus holidays we've had recently.

Anyway, I'm going to be so relieved when this semester is over. Due to the management wanting to standardize the academic calendar for all the six current intakes of degree students, my third semester will be starting in early February, meaning that I'll get an extra month off to go with my three weeks of semester break. I'll probably still be in and around the MIU campus anyway, as my lecturers tell me that some 'soft skills' courses will be offered.

Well, I'm glad I've gotten all that out, as I haven't really been talking to anyone outside Manipal much recently. Congratulations to you if you've managed to make it to this point, and thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment