Saturday, August 24, 2013

Student Elections.


It's all been fairly dull since I completed my first semester. The second one was supposed to have started right after my three-week break, but as I explained in an earlier post, it didn't, and I've been undergoing a short semester for about ten weeks now.

Well, that short semester (which was actually optional, by the way) is over now, as my second semester begins next week. My schedule's looking pretty packed, what with having six subjects to study as opposed to five from the first semester. However, I'm yet to receive my timetable, so as of yet I'm still unsure of just how busy I'll be starting next week.

The beginning of my second semester isn't the most significant thing happening around my university next week, however. Student Representative Council (SRC) elections are to be held, and in a small place like this, it's a pretty big thing.

The former SRC came under a lot of criticism (even from within) for not really doing a great deal. Without delving too much into that, there seems to be a widespread notion that many of the university's students want some form of change - indeed, only two of the seven former SRC members are running this year.

So what about me, then? Surely I must be getting myself involved in some way? Well, I am involved; I'm running for secretary. 

At first, I'd applied for the position of president, mainly because I'd heard that some of the so-called 'big guns' didn't want the post. I assumed that no one would be running for that particular position, so I just went ahead with it. I was wrong, as it turned out - the lady in charge of receiving candidacy applications told me there actually were a number of candidates running, so she advised me to go for another post. I agreed, and eventually decided on running for secretary.

The candidates' names were released last night, and there's some good news - for me, at least. Two spots for secretary were available (namely Secretary I and Secretary II) and there was only one other candidate besides me. This means I'm guaranteed a spot on the SRC, although there are slight doubts over which secretary I'll end up as. (In the announcement, though, my name was before the other candidate, so maybe that means something, eh.)

Being in the SRC will be a new and valuable experience for me, and I look forward to involving myself in...well, whatever it is the SRC will be doing. In any case, I hope that I'll be able to carry out my duties responsibly and brilliantly. Who knows, with the experience I gain from being the secretary this year, maybe I could end up in a higher post next time around?


No comments:

Post a Comment