Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Little Things.

Today marks the second anniversary of the day I, and so many others, first stepped into SBP life. I don't have the slightest doubt that a lot of people will be writing about this today, but despite the fact that I don't tend to do what others are doing I'm writing about it anyway.

I took a while thinking about what the focus of this post would be. Should I write about that historic day two years ago? Or should I write about some significant event that occurred during my time in Rembau? Well, in the end, I decided to go with something else entirely - the little things.

It's the big things that tell the story - gold medals, academic achievements, going on national television, etc. - but it's always the little ones that we tend to look back on. And depending on one's point of view, the little things usually differ from person to person. Hence, here's a list containing some of those little things I'll miss about Rembau, in no particular order:


  • Rushing to the canteen and dining hall to avoid the queue.
  • Taking a nap in the school surau, only to wake up around two hours later.
  • Walking past the school field back to the hostel, alone, after night prep.
  • Watching juniors play football.
Photo courtesy of... uh, Facebook?
  • Correctly answering a question asked by a teacher who's just caught me dozing off in class.
  • Watching my classmates getting 'punished' by my English teacher for cracking dirty jokes.
  • Playing around with expensive cameras that don't belong to me.
  • Going to the school co-op during night prep.
  • Ordering juniors around.
  • Hurrying down to the courts in the afternoon for futsal.
Photo courtesy of Yassin Roslan.
  • Listening to Mr. Azman's announcements at the surau after Maghrib prayers.
  • Staying up late to study/gossip.
  • Singing in class.
  • Being the first one to return to my dorm after night prep, and lying on my bed quietly waiting for everyone else to get back.
  • Ordering fried rice with chicken from the security guard.
  • Walking to class in the early morning, just to squeeze in a 15-minute nap before the school assembly.
  • Prolonging said nap after finding out the school assembly was cancelled due to the rain.
  • Studying in different places almost every night.
  • Watching my friends do crazy things, and sometimes joining in.
Photo also courtesy of Facebook.
  • Seeing teachers overreact to the admittedly stupid things the kids do.
  • Using public phones.
  • Going for early morning walks, especially in the fog.
  • Sleeping during exams.
  • Watching football on TV with the guys, and celebrating like maniacs after a goal.
  • Seeing other kids with their families every weekend, and envying whatever food they were eating. 


Of course, a complete list would be even longer than this, but you get the idea. It's always the little things you seem to remember the best, 'cause maybe without those small pleasures the big things might not have turned out the way they did.

Likewise, without each and every single batchmate, would it have made any difference at all to the story of the first ever Semesra graduates? Most definitely. Happy anniversary, Valedictorians.

Photo courtesy of Yasmeen Fazeera Shamsuddin.


1 comment: